The move is seen by many as yet another nail in the coffin of physical media, sales of which continue to decline as a growing number of Americans turn to streaming for at-home movie and TV entertainment.
Even so, with consumer spending on DVD and Blu-ray at $4 billion — just shy of a third of what consumers are spending on subscription streaming services such as Netflix — discs aren’t going away any time soon. Which is why we put this question to our readers in last week’s poll:
How long will you continue to buy discs?
A full three quarters of respondents vowed to continue buying 4K Blu-ray discs “as long as Hollywood makes them.”
Doing so is a no brainer in the words of one respondent, who likely spoke for many when he commented: “It’s the same price to buy digital only as it is to buy the physical disc, which also comes with a code for streaming! I buy discs primarily because they look and sound better than streaming, and I also have the convenience of the streaming option when I travel. Why anyone would pay full price for streaming only is beyond me.”
The remaining 25% of respondents indicated they’ve either already transitioned to streaming all or most of the time or are starting to buy fewer discs.
Here’s a complete breakdown of the survey results:
• 75% I’ll continue buying 4K discs for their superior performance as long as Hollywood makes them.
• 8% My disc purchases are few and far between these days as I morph into a bona fide streamaholic.
• 8% Discs are so 20th Century. It’s full stream ahead.
• 5% I’m already throttling back my disc purchases as I start to stream more content.
• 4% I’m thinking about cutting back on disc purchases as I start to stream more content.
Have a topic you’d like to suggest for a poll? Leave a comment.